Tuesday, September 27, 2005

¿Hablas Español?

It happened again... and for the *nth time at that. I missed my bus by a minute as I watched it drive away before my very eyes. Soooo annoying. At least it's not so bad cos we've been getting warmer days lately. But this post isn't about missing my bus.

I had an interesting experience while waiting for the next bus to come. This latino guy mistook me for a South American and asked if I can speak Spanish. I was so tempted to say no and just end the conversation but I thought it would be good to put my Spanish skills to the test. And so I replied with the usual "un poquito". Apparently he was lost and he needed some directions. I suddenly felt hesitant to say anything. I don't know if it's pity for the guy and not wanting to confuse him even more or fear of embarrassment (for saying that I can speak Spanish and failing the simple task of giving him the right directions). The thing is I can listen, read and write without much problem. I just always get caught offguard and panic when a native speaker talks to me in Spanish. I know I shouldn't get intimidated but that's just how it is.

I gave it a go anyway. It turns out he's just after another bus stop that's not too far from mine. Hah! Too easy. ;) Or maybe I just got lucky. I would've felt bad if he got even more lost because of me. But all is good because he happily went on his way and my bus came not long after. Now I only have to worry about my certification exam. *shudder* I'm still having second thoughts as to whether I should take it or not. Maybe I'll wait another year... or maybe I won't. You'll know when it happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home