Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Latin Nights

I was meant to go to Sydney last weekend but plans changed at the last minute cos my lift intended to leave early and I had to work late on Friday. Yes, I had to work late when most people usually leave work early on Friday afternoons. Hayayay! I don’t remember being this flat out at work… ever. Let’s just say that I’m not too happy with the way our project is being managed and everyone else in my team thinks the same. But I digress. There’s a lot to talk about in that aspect of my life but I think I’m gonna leave it for later. The glass is half full and there are still things to be thankful for. Like last weekend, for example.

I missed my bus and took a cab to Old Parliament House after work. I could’ve walked but it was too hot and I was already heaps tired. The 7-minute cab ride cost me $12. That’s one beer and a kebab, probably. Buti na lang I don’t drink… at least I don’t have to regret taking the cab cos I won’t ever need extra cash for that last bottle of beer. Every Friday, grads from all over the place flock the courtyard of OPH to start the weekend with cheap beers and cocktails. For some, it’s also a place for hooking up and finding a date for the weekend. For others, it’s just another chance to get trashed. For most of us, it’s simply a venue to catch up with friends after a long week of slaving away in front of our computers. Nat, Marcus and the rest of the Brasilian gang were already there. Frank Madrid was also there, dj-ing and playing Latin music. I enjoyed it immensely. We were the only ones dancing in the beginning but more and more people joined later on. This Aussie guy mistook me for a South American. Kala daw nya I’m Latina cos I look and dance like one. What a load of bollocks! Hahaha! The rest of the evening was very nice though. The night sky was beautiful and the cool summer breeze also contributed to the relaxed vibe of the place. By the time Frank starting packing his gear, my feet were literally sore from dancing the night away.

oph


Saturday was just as good. The Latin Carnival was on so all of Canberra was out and about in Garema Place. I didn’t have high expectations at all. I wasn’t too keen to check it out anymore but changed my mind and decided to go with Cat and Dave. They were playing my kind of music after all. And I was just looking forward to a night out without having to listen to techno and mainstream r&b. They had dodge ‘em cars, games and other kiddie rides that we weren’t too interested in. We tried to get Dave to go on the carnival’s own version of Disneyland’s Dumbo ride but he’d only do it in exchange for five beers. I was only game to shout him one. Boo! Fortunately, we didn’t have to amuse ourselves for much longer. We watched some capoeira, lambada, samba, salsa, flamenco, etc. We also walked past an artist who was working on some pretty amazing paintings of Canberra. They reminded me of those paintings of Curitiba that Doug forwarded ages ago. The best bit, of course, was dancing. It’s just a pity that I didn’t have a dance partner that night. I danced a bit of salsa with Lauro but I think Cat and I were the only ones who had dancing in mind for that evening. ;) Apart from a group of Lola’s singing Cuban songs 10 times slower than their original versions, I must say that I’m impressed with all the other groups that performed. I think Son Veneno deserves special mention. Their music is HOT HOT HOT. It’s Latin with a hiphop twist - my choice of poison for the night. ;p We went to Kind O’Malleys at around 130am. We met up with Ozan and his friends and finally called it a night at about half past three.

group


I slept in on Sunday, woke up at lunch time and watched Y Tu Mama Tambien for the *nth time. I miss Gael. Haha wala lang. I’ve been watching his movies all week. Buti na lang I have all of them on DVD. ;) I spent the rest of the day uploading photos and TRYING to organize my room. Later that evening, Erik sent an sms asking if I can make it to the Belgian café. I wasn’t able to go though. I was making arroz al horno and the paellera was already in the oven. Too late to postpone cooking for later. I stayed home instead, had dinner with my flatmates and caught up on some sleep to reenergize myself for another week at work.

arroz al horno

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home